“Growing up in the Club gave me the career passion to eventually head up Clubs in Vancouver, Portland and Lebanon.”
“Every memory from grade school to high school, involves the Club… My membership card was one of my first prized possessions.”
“I have great memories of spending time with Steve H. from Athletics and refereeing little kids soccer.”
THE CLUB TURNS 50
Ground breaking for the Club was held on March 19, 1965.
From September to December of 1966 the Board, under the leadership of Building Chairman Rex Casey, worked at a frantic pace, holding painting parties and putting the finishing touches on the building. As a Christmas present to the community, the Albany Boys Club opened its doors on December 26, 1966, with 488 boy members.
Founding Board Member Russ Tripp remembers this about the opening of the Club, “It was a fun and interesting time. We had no idea that we could get something going that would amount to anything. It was small potatoes at the start but has sure blossomed – we couldn’t have conceived then what it has turned into today.”
Did you know we now have:
- A new 40,000sq ft. Teen Center
- A state of the art two chair, free Dental Clinic
- A commercial kitchen serving breakfast and lunch in the summer and dinner during the school year, feeding an average of 375 members daily
- Three staffed computer rooms
- An indoor soccer field and track
- Currently we have 3,168 members
If you haven’t seen our new additions, please stop by when you’re visiting Albany, or if you still live here.